Saturday, December 29, 2007

FOOD CZAR TOP WINES OF 2007 BY REGION

Since I have just completed my first annual restaurant roundup, it seemed only natural to turn my attention to wines. However, a Top Ten list seemed rather silly, since I have only produced thirteen reviews of wines all year. What to do, what to do? After some intense contemplation, I decided to list my favorite wines that I reviewed in 2007 by region. Please keep in mind that due to general antisnobbishness (and hampered in no small part by budgetary considerations), these aren't First Growth Bordeaux we are dealing with here. All of these wines retail for under $20, which means that they can be quaffed everyday, if desired. Herewith are the Food Czar Wines to Remember for 2007, and the month they were posted.

TEXAS

-Dry Comal Creek Sauvignon Blanc - This years true upset winner, besting heavily favored offerings from better known wineries Becker Vineyards and Fall Creek, this fruity-but-dry pleaser pairs so well with food and stands so well on its own, I have given it the nod here. (November)

CALIFORNIA

-Robert Mondavi Private Selection Sauvignon Blanc - Another winning selection from this underrated white varietal. In all my years of quaffing, I can honestly say I've yet to taste a bad wine from this West Coast megaproducer. (October)

AUSTRALIA

-Black Opal Shiraz - With all due respect to Chile and Italy, name me a country who consistently produces more QV (quality and value) wines than Down Under. (July)

FRANCE

-Perrin and Fils Vacqueras - It should come as little surprise that my one and only Cellar Selection, a righteously good blend of grenache and syrah, should be my top selection from La Belle France. (September)

OTHER

-Sebeka "Cape Blend", South Africa - If you know my lovely wife the Rock Star, you know she would enjoy this shiraz/pinotage blend with a presence and power that is truly Malbeckian. (November)

HONORABLE MENTION - Barton and Guestier Chateauneuf-du-Pape (December)

I think that will do it for my 2007 wrapups. Stick a fork in me: I'm done. Try all these wonderful wines soon, and remember:

LIFE IS TOO SHORT FOR MEDIOCRE FOOD!!!

1 comment:

Donna said...

I just opened a bottle of Robert Mondavi Private Selection Sauvignon Blanc for some shrimp scampi I made Friday night! Very nice list, indeed. I didn't do a top restaurants of 2007, but rather a list of the most memorable bites I had this year.