Saturday, May 10, 2008

Quickie Review #20: Cowboy Chicken

Riding along in my automobile (as Chuck Berry would have it) on Park Blvd. just west of the Tollway a few short weeks ago, I noticed a new structure with a sign that proclaimed it to be the new home of Cowboy Chicken. I immediately thought of Boston Market and how my lovely wife the Rock Star and I used to enjoy their rotisserie chicken and roasted turkey breast when we lived in our old neighborhood. Sadly, our new neighborhood had none close at hand, so I made a mental note to try Cowboy Chicken whenever it opened. Then, Donna Chen (of Donna Cooks fame) reported in her blog that it had indeed opened and was a "more Texan and much better" version of Boston Market. As it turned out, the Rock Star was away on personal business the very next day, leaving me on my own for lunch. Therefore, as the 1PM hour drew near (unlike nine out of ten people, I rarely eat lunch at straight-up noon because I hate fighting crowds), I made my way down Park (in this case, I did have a particular place to go!) and pulled up to a parking lot full of cars from hungry patrons celebrating the restaurants Grand Opening.

After quickly scanning the menu, I decided on the three piece dark chicken platter with two sides and a roll. The chicken was very good, moist and tender, but I felt it needed a little barbecue sauce to make it perfect. The sides were outstanding, particularly the award-winning twice baked potaters, loaded with butter, sour cream, and cheese. I also enjoyed the ranchero beans, pintos flavored with herbs and jalapenos and a great accompanyment to my Texas-style meal. Only the almost-flavorless roll was a true disappointment. Cowboy Chicken boasts a number of other menu items I'm dying to try, including chicken enchiladas, chicken salads, and homemade peach cobbler for dessert, a la mode if you wish. Website is http://www.cowboychicken.com/ and they have a loyalty club you can sign up for to get coupons and free goodies. I'm looking forward to introducing my lovely bride to Cowboy Chicken very soon indeed. Introduce your family as well, and remember:

LIFE IS TOO SHORT FOR MEDIOCRE FOOD!!!

7 comments:

Margie said...

I haven't thought of Cowboy Chicken in so long. I'm there.

Food Czar said...

Margie, you'll find it's every bit as good as you remember it and then some. I can't wait for my lovely wife to try it!!

michelle said...

yum! I had read about this on Donna Cooks and was intrigued, but I really appreciated your elaboration on it. delicious... i love southern food :)

Food Czar said...

FOOD CZAR UPDATE:

Introduced the Rock Star to Cowboy Chicken today, and she was suitably impressed. She enjoyed the Southwest Chicken Salad: Romaine lettuce, veggies, rotisserie chicken breast, cheddar cheese and tangy Southwestern dressing. (She had them hold the black beans.) She thoroughly scarfed it down, and said she would like to try a regular rotisserie chicken dinner next time. For myself, I had the Chicken Enchiladas and they are indeed incredible: Three white meat enchiladas topped with a tomatillo-sour cream sauce spicy enough that I did not need to add extra salsa. Once again, those twice-baked potaters were wonderful, and the creamed spinach was very good as well.

Shane Stephens said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shane Stephens said...

I had Cowboy Chicken (Campbell & Preston) and was less than thrilled by any of their food. Maybe a new store can bring life back into otherwise bland chicken and horrible sides. I would still choose El Pollo Regio if I had to choose between the two even without sides. Thanks for the report though!

Melissa said...

Tried Cowboy Chicken today, blogged about how disappointed I was and promptly went searching for others like me.

Definitely would not recommend the cobbler. Blech.