Monday, September 22, 2008

Wine Corner Review #33: Mirassou Cabernet Sauvignon

For the most part, I try to go my own way when deciding which wines to buy, but I must admit that sometimes I'm susceptible to what I read in the wine press. (Question: Can you read a wine press, when it's not busy crushing grapes?) Recently, I read an article online that named the Top Ten Wine Values Under $10 (or some such rot....Have you had enough grape puns for one day?) . Since I'm all about quality and value, I knew that I had to investigate, so I promptly visited my local Wine Shoppe, and was able to locate and purchase one of those wines; in fact, it just so happens to be the quaff we're considering today, straight to you from one of California's oldest winemaking families, the Mirassou Cabernet Sauvignon.

The robe of the Mirassou Cabernet Sauvignon is rusty plum. The nose is slightly vegetal, but also contains distinct whiffs of blackberry and vanilla. Lots of blackberry, black current and dark chocolate roll across the palate, finishing with more vanilla and spice. You can hail this cab if you need it to accompany such humble fare as lemon-pepper chicken wings (and I did), but it's even more comfortable with pot roast and barbecue. Website is www.mirassou.com, where you can read all about the Mirassou family and their lengthy history. Make it a pressing matter to obtain a bottle soon, and remember:

LIFE IS TOO SHORT FOR MEDIOCRE FOOD!!!

No comments: